History of the Saare Manor and the Saare village

According to the well-known historians Carl Russwurm and Paul Johansen the estate was acquired by Friedrich Adolf von Rosen after the Great Northern War. Since then, during six generations, the estate has been passed on from father to son. Today, The Museum of Lyckholm, the mansion and the Skanskopli belong to the son of the last owner. This is not common in Estonia, as in the last centuries manors often changed hands.

It can be documentally verified that the von Rosens have been living in the Baltics since 1282. During the first years of the Republic of Estonia (1918-1940) the Saare Manor was taken care of by the 60 years old ill baron Woldemar von Rosen together with his wife Lucie (born von Hunnius, daughter of Dr. Carl Arthur von Hunnius from Haapsalu). During then their two sons were fighting against the Red Army in the War of Independence. At that time Saare and Kudani consisted of the Manor and seven tenant farms of which five had Swedish and two Estonian owners. After the victory of the War of Independence over Soviet Russia and the underwriting of Tartu Peace Treaty, the eldest son, having returned from the war, took over the estate from his father.

With the Land Act some part of the Manors land was expropriated and nine new smallholdings were formed (4 Estonian settlers, 4 Swedish and a Finn named Tikka). The central strip of the Manor’s land was now being farmed by Friedrich von Rosen together with his wife Hedwig (born Normann) until their emigration in 1939.

Two of the Normann brothers were killed in the War of Independence or had been wounded and died shortly after the war. Returned only the third brother, the late colonel Johannes Normann, who has been awarded the Freedom Cross Order.

In addition to his own land, Friedrich von Rosen also cultivated the lands of the Normanns and Tikka which was very important to him.

The Normann family managed Saare Manor until the Soviet occupation in 1939-40.

Being engaged in agriculture Friedrich von Rosen was in good relations with the Pürksi Swedish Agricultural School. In the 1930s instead of a primary or a high school he founded a boarding school of international level in the mansion. The most distinguished teachers were Mrs Agnes Johannson and Mr Adalbert Hirsch. After the boarding school the students continued their studies in different Tallinn high schools. The boarding school in the mansion was more affordable than schools in Haapsalu or Tallinn and the students could also help with farming. There were also annual obligatory final tests.

Former students who are still living today are for example Hans Frhr. von Stackelberg, the captain of the famous German sailboat Gorch Fock, Mr Ervin Milvek (Canada), professor Hans von Rosen (Sweden) etc.

The Manor was restored in 1995/2001. The stable has been rebuilt in the authentic style and it’s now the Museum of Lyckholm. In the mansion there is the Guesthouse, the Café and halls for different occasions. The restoration process was led by dr Gustav Fhrh. von Rosen and his wife Lore (born Crety). The current owner is dr Lothar Alexander von Rosen, the eldest son of dr Gustav Fhrh. von Rosen. The Museum opening took place in March 1997 and the Mansion was opened in 2001.